Sunday, September 9, 2012

Easily Influenced

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I last posted! Where did I leave off?? The 5k I think.  Going into the 5k I wanted to take it slow and run a comfortable yet quick pace. I was worried about trying to go all out and straining something right before the big race. So that was the plan....that isn't exactly what happened.
 
The gun went off and I took off with everyone around me. I looked down at my watch at one point and I was running a 7.54 pace. SLOW DOWN!! haha. I really had to slow it down a bit. I ended up finding a semi comfortable pace at around 8.30.  It was just so hard for me to slow down when everyone around me is going so fast. I'm really going to have to work on this for the half marathon. I'm too easily influenced (fyi I was actually told this by a supervisor at one of my college internships. oops. I guess if my friends go jump off a bridge, I'll be right behind them.)
 
42
 
    Megan Coffin
 
      Newark DE
 
    27
 
    25
 
F
 
   3/18 19-29
 
      5K
 
        26:19.7
 
      26:25.9
 
        8:28/M
 
I finished 42nd out of almost 200 people, and 3rd in my age group. I was very happy with it. Matt kicked major butt and finished first in his age group.
 
The rest of the week went as usual, and then came Saturday morning. Matt and I woke up early for our "long run." We both took the mileage down this week to start tapering and resting out legs. We ran 8 miles!
 
9.50 pace!
 
I decided to wear my little fanny pack thing this week to test it out for the race. I'm thinking of having my GU Chomps in it so I can just eat them during the race without having to carry them in my hand the whole time.
 
Sporting my eagles gear for the start of the football season.
 
When I got home from my run, I refueled with a smoothie, did some packing, ate lunch and headed out the door. I went to my friend Chelsea's family Pig Out.  They have it on their farm every year and it's amazing. Her dad slow roasts beef, ham and turkey and everyone brings a side or dessert. There is also a truck of beer...that's right a truck.
 
Unfortunately the weather did not hold up.
 
Running from my car. I literally got there 2 minutes before it started pouring.
 
Luckily, the whole thing was held in their huge barn.  And after the rain we saw a double rainbow!
 
Later that night, Chelsea's dad somehow managed to lite the bonfire.
 
 
Me and Chelsea!
 
 
We hit the hay early and I got an amazing 9.5 hours of sleep!  We woke up to a gorgeous day and wished it had been like that the day before.
 
 
 
I got home right before the Eagles game started today.  I watched the beginning and then snuck in a quick yoga workout around half time. My legs have been really tight lately. I needed to stretch so bad. I found this really great website where you can do online yoga workouts in the comfort of your own home.
 
 
I did the 53 minute Level 2 yoga/pilates fusion and loved it.  Hope everyone had a good weekend. This time next week I will be able to call myself a half marathoner! (and will get to put a cool 13.1 bumper sticker on my car....I mean that's why I'm really doing it).
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Congrats to both of you on your race times!!!!

    Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily

    ReplyDelete