Monday, June 11, 2012

Vacation Food/Workouts

Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm trying to get back into better eating habits and working out.  Matt and I struggled through a 5 mile run today in the heat, and we both discussed the inevitability of us having to run on the treadmill/run after the sun goes down while training for our upcoming half marathon.  Right now I'm looking at a 12 week training program that I will start on the week of June 25th to be ready for the half on September 16th. 

Anyways, I figured since this is a food/fitness blog I would show you some of the amazing food we had in St. Lucia.

Breakfast: Not too much different than the US
I got a container of quick oats and would cook some of them up and mix with some yoplait greek yogurt that I came across. I also took packets of peanut butter with me, because I can't live without it.  And thank goodness I could have my coffee each morning out on our balcony

Lunches were pretty random. Some of the tours we went on included lunch, and other days we just ate what we could find around our villa which was usually an egg sandwich and some fruits and veggies. My all time favorite lunch was at Ladera:
Mahi Mahi salad. Not only was the food good, but the view was even better.
somehow we ended up with the best seat in the house.

another lunch out, a roasted veggie wrap with grilled pineapple


Dinner was really where we went all out exploring the local cuisine. We ate A LOT of fish which I loved. I didn't have meat at all for dinner while we were there. The fish was just too good.
Tuna at La Terrace. 

Matt got the pork ribs

Crab back appatizer at The Coal Pot

My favorite meal at The Coal Pot.  Tuna in a coconut curry sauce.  The sauce made the meal.

And one night we cooked for ourselves. We got some red snapper from the fish market and cooked it on the grill.

My favorite "local meal" was the Roti.  A roti is meat or vegetables with potato cooked in a yellow curry sauce wrapped up in a savory crepe. I had the veggie roti filled with mixed veggies, tofu and potatoes.
Really good but super filling. I could only eat half, so this is actually the other half that we had on the side when we cooked our snapper and some of matt's fries.

Snacks:
plantain chips

Cassava Cakes.  Our cab driver introduced us to these at a little shack on the side of the road. Casava is similar to sweet potato.  They make cakes out of them and eat them for breakfast.  The shop had a lot of different flavors. This one is apple cinnamon.  They taste exactly like baked oatmeal.

Drinks:
margarita

Bermuda triangle. Didn't know they were two for one until the woman gave me two drinks. Matt finished the second one for me.

Our favorite local beer similar to Corona.

we tried a ginger wine (in my hand) but it was disgusting, so we went down to the market and got some white wine instead.

coconut water (Matt's angry face is his attempt at taking an arm out picture haha)

Workouts:
Matt and I tried our best to workout every other day.  Even though we were staying active throughout the trip, it made us both feel a lot better to sweat it out in the mornings. However, we really had to get creative. We would bring the pads from the lounge chairs and put them on the deck for ab work. I would cycle through some abs work, lunges, squats, push ups, dips....and then I would go down on the beach and run down to the next hotel and back, about .4 miles.  Our beach didn't have too much room to run, but we managed.  I would go through this cycle 3 times and then would jump in the pool b/c it was so hot I was drenched in sweat.
Love this picture!

I also wrote down some workouts that I found on pinterest that were quick, but got your heart rate up for about 20 minutes. We figured, something is better than nothing.  The first day we got back from vacation, Matt and I went in the basement and did a good 40 minute strength workout. We both missed this the most while we were there, and we are both paying for it today with our sore muscles.

Some people think we are crazy for working out on vacation, but we love it.  There are worse things to be addicted to right?? lol

















No comments:

Post a Comment