Sunday, July 15, 2012

My First Mud Run!!!

Yesterday Matt and I and two of our friends drove to Morristown, NJ for the Warrior Dash!! I started our my race day morning with a big smoothie:
1/2 frozen banana, 1 container vanilla chobani, blueberries, strawberries, 2 tbsp of PB2 (I'll talk about this later in the week), splash coconut milk.

Lunch:
Egg whites, spinach, zucchini, squash and cheese!  Apple on the side.

Then we were off.  We drove 2.5 hours and got to the race 1.5 hours early. On their website we were told to get there an hour early. Boy am I glad we got there when we did. We parked our car and then got in line for the shuttle to the race area. This is when we saw our first obstacle of the day:

We waited in this line for an entire hour until we finally got on a bus.


When we finally got to the actual race, we had about 20 minutes to check in and get our bibs, go to the bathroom and check our bags.  Lets just say it didn't happen. Instead of starting at 3:30, we started at 4.  This race was really poorly organized. Matt and I were both really frustrated by the time we finally reached the starting line.  All that frustration went out the door when we started our 3.2 mile run.  Most of the run was through the wood and most of the obstacles were at the beginning and end of the race. Here are some pictures that Matt got of a few of the obstacles.



I loved the obstacles! They were so much fun and I definitely woke up sore this morning.  The run was a little harder. There were some huge hills to go up and they were pretty difficult with mud and rocks caked in your shoes.

We Made It!!


We got these sweet hats along with our medals and a tshirt (that Matt is sporting). Other than a couple scrapes and bruises I made our pretty well. 

Week Setup:
This week is going to be a little different for my running schedule.  Matt and I are heading to OBX on Thursday, so we want to try to get our long runs in before we leave. The weather looks....horrible this week. Every day is in the mid 90's.  So here is what I'm going for:
Monday: 7 miles (later run around 6pm)
Tuesday: Strength and Crosstrain
Wednesday: 4 miles on the treadmill
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 3 miles on the beach
Saturday: 3 miles on the beach
Sunday: Rest and drive home

I skipped a running day from my training plan today so that I could do my long run tomorrow and not be dead. Instead I went to the gym this morning for some stregth work and crosstraining.  I started out my workout by doing this arm workout:

Repeat 2x:
Barbell Bicep Curls (10lbs)
Dips
Front Shoulder Raises (8lbs)
Hammer Curls (10lbs)
Lying Tricep Extension (10lbs)
Upright Row (15lbs)
Crossbody Hammer Curls (10lbs)
Overhead Tricep Extension (10lb)
Side Shoulder Raises (8lb)

After completing this I did 15 minutes of ab work and then moved to the elliptical for 25 minutes before heading home. 

It's currently pouring and starting to storm so I'm going to go before I get electricuted!












2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just came across your blog and I love it! The warrior dash looks really cool, I need to work up the courage to do something like that! You can check out my blog at mymostlyhealthylife.blogspot.com, if you enjoy feel free to follow by clicking 'join this site' directly on my blog! Thanks so much! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will definitely check out your blog. Feel free to join mine as well!

      Delete