Monday, November 7, 2011

Beef...It's What's For Dinner

Today was a pretty good day.  Work went by fast and I got a good workout in at the gym.  Everything was great...until I walked outside and saw that it was dark :(  at 5:15.  I don't think I'm going to like this very much. 

So I've been making some pretty interesting dinners lately, and Matt has been forced to eat all of my strange concoctions.  I wanted to make him something I knew he would like, just in a healthier way.  First of all I knew it had to have BEEF in it...let's face it I'm marrying a carnvore :).  After some recipe searching I landed on sloppy joe's.  That's right sloppy joes.  I don't think I've had one of these in at least 5 years.  I went into it with low expectations but it actually turned out pretty good.  The sauce was really flvorful!

Healthy Sloppy Joes
1 large carrot
1 stalk celery
12 oz lean ground beef/ground turkey
3/4 cup prechopped onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 8oz can no salt added tomato sauce

Put carrot and celery into food processor and chop into small peices.  Add carrot, celery and ground beef to a pan on medium high heat.
Cook until meat is browned, then add garlic powder, chili powder and pepper and cook one more minute.

Combine 1/4 cup ketchup and next 5 ingredients through tomato sauce ina a bowl and mix well.  Add mixture to the beef and veggies and let simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens. 


I served mine over some Great Harvest Dakota bread and had a salad on the side.



SLOPPY!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment