Monday, November 21, 2011

Dreary Monday

It's been such a nasty day here in Delaware.  It's been cloudy and raining on and off all day.  Days like this make me glad I have the gym.  I did an easy workout today because my legs are still a bit sore from the race on Saturday.  I think it's so weird that I've run a 10k several times on my own, but when I run it in a race I'm sore for several days afterwards.  I guess that means I was pushing myself! I stuck with 20 minutes of upper body weights and then 20 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes on the eliptical. 

thought this was funny


love this

When I got home from the gym I tried to throw together a quick dinner.  I had never had gnocchi before so I decided to give them a go. I found a recipe on http://www.eatingwell.com/ that I based my recipe off of.  I didn't make the gnocchi myself, but I'm hoping to do that at some point.  I remember coming across a recipe for sweet potatoe gnocchi. Sounds good to me. 
Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans
olive oil
1 lb package of refrigerated gnocchi
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup water
3 handfulls spinach leaves (very precise i know)
1 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
pepper to taste
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet and add gnocchi. Cook about 5 minutes until browned and remove gnocchi from pan.  Add 1 tsp oil to pan along with onion and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in garlic and water.  Cover and let simmer for 2 minutes until onion is soft.  Add spinach and stir until wilted.  Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer until sauce thickens.  Stir in gnocchi and sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and cook for 3 minutes unil cheese melts. Enjoy!



The recipe got pretty good reviews from Matt although he did say that it could have used some meat (I expected this hah).  I'm thinking of adding some italian turkey sausage next time but all the flavors were great and it was nice and filling!

Tomorrow after work I'll be coming home to bake an apple pie for Turkey Day.  I'm a little nervous...I'm not a very good baker.  But we'll see how it goes.  I'm also hoping to fit in an at home workout from women's health magazine! It's equipment free and uses only your own body weight.  I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Thank God this is only a 3 day week :)




No comments:

Post a Comment