Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Time For Apple Pie

Today after work I went straight home to make an apple pie for thanksgiving since my night tomorrow is packed!  The recipe I used was in People Magazine a few years ago and is from Barefoot Contessa.
Apple Pie
4 lb granny smith apples, peeled and cut into slices
1 lemon zested and 1 orange zested
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
2 premade pie crusts
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water (I used egg whites)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and cute apples and add to a bowl with zests, juices, sugar, flour and spices.  Mix well.  Drape 1 pie crust over a pie plate.  Add filling.  Brush the edge of the bottome pie crust with egg wash.  Add top crust and tuck edges under the bottom crust.  Brush the top crust with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and make 4-5 slits.  Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

The hardest part of this recipe for me is peeling all the apples. The last time I made this I had help from my mom and she can  peel an apple in one long peel. I managed to do one like this.





After pie baking it was time to whip up dinner! Good thing it was nice and quick.  It was taco night in our house.  I cooked up a pound of ground turkey with some reduced sodium taco seasoning and put it on whole wheat tortillas. 

I had mine with some cheddar cheese, black beans and spinach leaves with some veggies on the side. 

After dinner I finally had some time to get a quick workout in.  I tried the No Gear Here workout from the Women's Health Magazine  website.  I really liked the leg workouts but I wasn't too wild about some of the arm ones. I could barely do some of them.  I guess my upper body needs some work.  This one was my favorite:
Front Lunge Floor Reach and Reverse Twist

Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides. Lunge forward with your left leg so your right knee is nearly touching the floor and your left thigh is parallel to the floor. Bending forward, try to touch the floor on either side of your left foot (A). Push off your left foot; using that momentum, shift your weight to your right foot and swing your left leg behind you. As you sink backward into a lunge, rotate your torso 45 degrees to the right (B). Return to standing. That's one rep. Do 12 to 15 and repeat on the other side. That's one set. Do three, resting for 30 seconds between sets.
All in all I really liked the workout and the fact that I didn't need any equipment.  I have a feeling my legs are going to be sore tomorow.

Time to go watch an episode of Lost with Matt! The darn X Factor is on AGAIN tonight so there is no glee.  That show really needs to go away if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment