Saturday, March 17, 2012

5k PR!!

Today was the St. Patty's Day 5k in Wilmington! Matt and I were both hoping to get personal best times.  We woke up bright and early, 7am and the race started at 9:30. 

For breakfast I had a slice of great harvest dakota toast with peanut butter and apple butter.

And then all hell broke loose as it usually does on race morning. My stomach always hates me on mornings of races. I'm positive it's the nerves and there's pretty much nothing I can do about it besides some of my go to remedies:
Today I took pepto. I usually go for immodium but I was out!
organic ginger candies

And then we were off to the race:

It was the perfect day for our run. It started in the 50s and was well into the 60s by the time we finished.  It was a pretty flat course which I appreciated very much. I looked down at my watch after mile one and realized I had just run a sub 8 minute mile. Holy cow. I told myself to slow down because there was no way I was going to keep this up.  I finished mile 2 at 16.30 and realized that getting sub 26 minutes was within reach.  After I saw 3 miles pass I sprinted to the finish and crossed at 25.45!!! Yay I did it. I ran an 8.18 pace, finished 108 out of 400 people and 11th in my age group. 

Matt on the other hand kicked major ass.  He finished in 20.39.  He's pretty much rediculous. He got third in his age group!! So proud!

When I got home I made a good lunch full of protein. I made an eggwhite omelet with broccoli, zucchini, spinach and feta cheese. Then I had my favorite chobani on the side, apple cinnamon.
Look at the steam coming off that baby!

We're taking it easy now and then heading out for some St. Patty's day drinks later tonight!






No comments:

Post a Comment