Friday, June 29, 2012

New Shoes...Again!

I got a very exciting package in the mail yesterday. My new lifting/corss training shoes!

I got a groupon a few weeks ago for $50 worth of Reebok gear for $25.  I 've been wanting to get some new shoes for lifting since I've been just using my old running shoes the last couple of months.  This was the perfect opportunity. I chose the Reebok YourFlex Trainette. 
Why different shoes for running and for lifting you ask??

Wrong Shoes: Running Shoes. The air & gel filling is great for reducing impact shock from running. But bad for lifting. Running shoes will limit your strength & prevent good lifting technique.
  • Unstable. Soles are squishy so you can't predict their behavior on each rep. This makes it harder to control your technique and lift properly.
  • Power Loss. The soles absorb the force generated against the floor instead of directing it towards moving the weight. You lose strength.
  • Dangerous. Higher risk of injury, especially with heavier weights, since the soles make it hard to balance yourself and are less stable.

Benefits of Good Lifting Shoes.
Good lifting shoes have incompressible soles. They must be non slippery, have excellent support and fit snug. Benefits:
  • More Stability. Better traction against the floor and improved balance under the bar because the soles are hard.
  • More Strength. Your heels will sense the pressure of the weight better, which will make your legs contract harder.
  • Better Technique. Good lifting shoes will fix many technique issues. You'll sit back better, your heels will stop coming off the floor, ...
  • More Safety. Better balance, better technique, ... All of it decreases the risks of injury during lifting.
These shoes are totally different than my running shoes. They are much more light weight, the sole of the shoe is a lot smaller, and it's a much more minimalist shoe.  I almost feel like I'm walking in my bare feet.  But I think this will help me feel more stable when I'm weight lifting especially during lunges and squats.

Matt and I headed to Main St. tonight for him to buy new running shoes! The only shoes he has been using since we started running are department store running shoes.  Not the best choice when training for anything.  Matt noticed he was having some issues and weird pains when he was running higher mileage so he decided it was time to splurge!
I love having such a great running store right down the road for us.  Matt was very close to buying some Brooks shoes just like me, but in the end decided to get Nike's. I totally thought we were going to be matchy there for a second....guess not. We also stopped at one of the University of Delaware's apparel stores to look around and I ended up buying this cute little outfit for our friend who is pregnant.
So cute!


After shopping we went to California Tortilla for dinner.  I took a picture, but my phone is a tard and must not have actually taken it.  Mrrrr. Well I got a borrito bowl with rice, roasted veggies, chicken, salsa and guacamole. It was delicious, but I didn't finish it because I was saving room for dessert! Friday is cheat day after all!!
We went to a frozen yogurt place down the strret.  I had half peanut butter and half chocolate froyho topped with strawberries and dark chocolate chips. Holy cow did this hit the spot considering it was 100 degrees here today.  I love froyo places. I just like how I can make my own cup up instead of someone behind the counter doing it.  They also had a sign behind the counter with the nutrition information for thist stuff. Only 100 calories for 1/2 cup. That's pretty good!

We are just sitting down watching some of the track and field and swimming olympic trials and paging through the neweset issue of runner's world!  I'll be in bed early tonight so I can wake up early for my 4 mile run before it hits 97 later in the day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment