Sunday, January 8, 2012

Registering and Beef Tagine

I started off my Sunday with my favorite breakfast...I'm such a creature of habit after all.  Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats.
1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1/3 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1/3 cup pumpkin, splash of milk, a few shakes of cinnamon and pumkin pie spice.  Let it sit overnight and top with peanut butter, craisins and granolla. Nothing gets better in my book.

Then I headed to the gym for a quick workout. My legs are pretty sore from my workout yesterday, so I decided to stick to working on my arms and abs today as far as weights went.  Then I hopped on the eliptical for 20 minutes and the treadmill for 20 minutes.  Honestly my ass is killing me haha. I think I've been waddling all day. 
Lunch:
Whole wheat deli flat with natural peanut butter and apple butter along with an apple, some veggies and a laughing cow cheese wedge.  Man I hate our plates haha. It's definitely time to change these. Time to Register!!
Matt and I finally finished registering. And no we did not get any monogrammed towels. I just had to take a picture with this one honoring my future last name.
I have to give it to BB&B they gave us a sweet little care package full of goodies including these:
Dangerous

Time for dinner! I made Beef Tagine tonight and some cornbread to go on the side. I found this recipe on cooking light's website and put my little spin on it. I added sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash and also added some carrots and sliced  mushrooms.
2tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb beef (I used pre cut beef for a stew)
1 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots quartered
4 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 14.5oz can no salt added diced tomatoes undrained
3 cups sweet potato cubed
2 carrots chopped
handfull of button mushrooms sliced
Combine first 6 ingredients, add beef and toss.  Heat oil in dutch oven on medium high heat.  Add shallots and beef, cook 4 minutes.  Add garlic, cook 1 minute.  Stir in broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil for 5 minutes.  Stire in potatoes and veggies, simmer for 20 minutes.
Healthy Cornbread:
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg white
Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then add wet to dry.  Mix and spread in a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

This meal was completely picky eater approved!! I think I'm starting to get the hang of this thing.  Hope everyone has a good week! Sorry for the long post. My life was obviously way to interesting today.





No comments:

Post a Comment