Thursday, April 5, 2012

Butt Kicking Workout!

Today was an extra special day for a couple of reasons. Reason #1 it is my Friday!! Reason #2 Matt returned from his business trip and I no longer have to be a single mom to a very hyper puggle.
Good thing he's cute.

I've been having to get creative with my workouts lately so I could come home right after work to take care of the little man. Today I was back to the gym.  I went in with a plan and followed it to a T.  I started out with a new weights workout that could easily be done at home with a couple sets of dumbbells.
I found this strength training workout on pinterest.  I went through the legs and arm workout twice.
1. Plie with Bicep Curl
12 reps 8lb weights

2. Forward Lunge And Press
12 reps each leg 5lb weights (your arms will be burning after just a few trust me)

3. Squat With Straight Arm Pressback
12 reps.  When you squat down press arms foward.

4. Tip It Over
10 reps each, 8lb weight. I did mine without the chair.

Curtsey Lat Raise
10 reps each, 5lb dumbbells.  This one is killer on the tush!

Afer I went through these exercises twice I moved on to some random ab work then went to the treadmill for my favorite interal workout from Fitness Magazine's website.



Minutes
Speed
Incline
Warm up
2
4.0 MPH
0
Speed up
5
4.5-6.0
0
Increase speed by 0.5 each MPH minute until you reach 6.0 MPH; maintain for 2 minutes.
Climb
7
4.0-4.5
2.0
Increase incline by 2.0 each minute until you reach 10.0 MPH; stay there for 3 minutes.
Descend
1
6.0
2.0
Sprint
4
Varied
2.0
Sprint (your best effort) for 1 minute, then jog (4.5 MPH); repeat combo, trying to sprint faster the second time.
Climb
1
5.0-6.0
4.0
Climb
4
6.0-7.0
4.0
Recover
1
4.0-4.5
0
Jog
1
5.0-6.0
0
Sprint
2
Best effort
0
Cool down
2
2.0-3.0
0









When I first did this workout it completely kicked my butt.  But slowly I got better and better with the incline work.  I did change it up a bit for my own abilities.  I wanted to run the whole time so I adjusted the speed for the first climb to between 5.5-6.0.  I also had to adjust the incline for the climb because there is no way I could run at a 10 incline.  Instead of increasing by 2.0 every minute I increased by 1.0 every minute.  I was drenched in sweat by the time I finished. I extended the jog/spint sequence at the end to take me to 3 miles total!
Sweaty hot mess.

When I got home I had leftovers from Sunday night and a cup of coffee with a 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder in it. This is the only way I have found that I can stomach this stuff. The coffee taste comletely covers up the gross taste of the powder! Yay!!






No comments:

Post a Comment